New Delhi, Jammu Kashmir now split into two union territories — J&K which has an assembly and Ladakh with no assembly. The bill to be brought in parliament. Understand this by reading these 10 points:
1. J-K split into union territories J-K and Ladakh.
2. The Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Bill, 2019 has been introduced in the Rajya Sabha.
3. As per this Bill, J&K is split into 2 union territories — J&K with an assembly and Ladakh with no assembly. The bill to be brought in parliament.
4. The statement of the object for the bifurcation says given the prevailing security situation in J-K fuelled by cross border terrorism a separate union territory of Jammu and Kashmir with a legislature was created.
5. The reason as to why Ladakh was made into a UT was that it was a ‘long pending demand of the people of Ladakh and would help them realise their aspirations.
6. HM moves resolution to scrap Article 370 in J-K: Pandemonium in the Rajya Sabha as the HM proposes to revoke Article 370. Shah moves a resolution revoking Article 370 from J&K in the Rajya Sabha. He tells the Upper House: I am ready for all discussions by the leader of the Opposition, the entire opposition and the members of the ruling party over Kashmir issue. I am ready to answer all questions.
7. Making a historic announcement in the Rajya Sabha that triggered bedlam, Shah said: “I am presenting the resolution to revoke Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir except the first clause 370 (1).”
Following his speech amid bedlam, the House was adjourned.
8. In a separate statement, Shah said the government had proposed to reorganize Jammu and Kashmir carving out two separate Union Territories of Ladakh and Jammu and Kashmir.He said this had been done in view of constant threats of cross border terrorism.
9. The Union Territory of Ladakh was a long pending demand of the people of the region and the decision was aimed at fulfilling the aspiration of the local population, the Minister said.Two members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Nazeer Ahmed Laway and Mir Mohammad Fayaz, were shunted out of the Rajya Sabha after they removed copies of the Constitution.
10. PDP leader Mehbooba Mufti described the decision to scrap Article 370 as “the darkest day in Indian democracy”.”Decision of J&K leadership to reject 2 nation theory in 1947 & align with India has backfired. Unilateral decision of GOI to scrap Article 370 is illegal & unconstitutional which will make India an occupational force in J&K,” the former Chief Minister tweeted.